To be held over 3 days - from March 21 to March 23 - this is the second of our quarterly trail running camps, aimed this time in particular but definitely not exclusively at those planning to run our Two Castles and an Abbey Trail Ultra on May 24, 2014.
These are fairly tough, demanding trails involving some steep climbs in the Kyrenia range which are aimed at the reasonably fit trail runner capable of keeping up a pace (on tarmac) of at least 7mins/km for 30-40 km
NOTE: BECAUSE WE HAVE A SUPPORT VEHICLE FOLLOWING, YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH CHOOSE YOUR OWN DISTANCES DAILY (DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THE 100KM TARGET)
COST: 200 EUROS PER PERSON
THE FEE COVERS:
1. Top-notch, extremely comfortable accommodation at Kantara Guest House, including breakfast and dinner.
2. Transport to and from Kantara village -- from Nicosia, Kyrenia or Ercan airport
3. Daily transport to and from trails, with backup vehicle following the various runs and providing replenishments every 10-12 km
4. Coke, biscuits, trail mix, bananas, peanut butter sandwiches at replenishment points, plus a delicious picnic lunch after each run.
5. Telephone sim cards that operate in these mountains in case of emergency
6. All your potable water needs
7. Nightly movies, featuring world-class inspiring films on runners who have tackled and completed some of the most demanding trails on the planet, including the UTMB, the Western States and the Sahara.
FEE DOES NOT COVER:
1. Pickups from airports other than Ercan -- these by arrangement
2. Electrolytes, gels etc -- if you have special needs bring you own, otherwise we swear by the trail mix, bananas and peanut butter sandwiches that we will be providing as being the best fuel for the trails.
3. Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, ice creams, chocolates, crisps etc that are on sale at the Kantara Guest House.
SPRING TRAIL RUNNING CAMP -- UP TO 80 KM OF PICTURESQUE TRAILS IN FOUR DAYS -- MARCH 21 TO MARCH 23
Two Castles and an Abbey 80km Trail Ultra
The third running of the Two Castles and an Abbey Trail Challenge will be held on Saturday May 24, 2014.
This is an 80km trail running adventure through the Kyrenia mountain range, taking in two Crusader castles and ending at ancient Bellapais Abbey.
Starting just before sunrise at the magnificent 13th century Kantara Crusader Castle, the route follows jeep and forest tracks and rocky trails westwards through the Kyrenia mountain range in Cyprus to Buffavento Crusader Castle. From there it is up and over the ridge and finally down to the finish at Bellapais Abbey, overlooking the charming harbour town of Kyrenia. The course takes in pine forests, rocky ridges, tricky trails, and sweeping vistas of the Mediterranean coast and hamlets way down below.
The following events will be held on the day:
1. The Lionheart Run: the full 80km from Kantara Castle to Bellapais -- starting time 5am -- this race carries two UTMB points.
2. The Braveheart Run: the tough last 27 km of the route, from Alevkaya to Bellapais -- starting time 1pm
3. The Mountain Goat scramble -- the rocky but enjoyable last 9km of the route starting from Buffavento castle, up and over the ridge and down to Bellapais -- starting time 3pm.